Colonic Irrigation description
Aftercare advice for colonic patients
You should feel fine after colonic hydrotherapy treatment, and not experience any unwanted side-effects; there are a few simple measures to follow:
- Follow any specific advice on diet, supplements, exercise, etc. given to you by your practitioner.
- Don't overeat. Eat simply cooked or raw food, and chew well. A diet rich in fruit and vegetables (especially leafy) will add to the cleansing effect and help to regulate bowels.
- Don't eat red meat (beef, lamb, pork and game) every day; white meat and fish and vegetarian meals are much easier to digest.
- Eat only whole grains, e.g. brown rice, wholemeal flour, NOT refined e.g. white flour products, pasta.
- Avoid lots of mucus-forming foods like refined grains, dairy products and eggs.
- A small amount of water is absorbed during the colonic treatment, and you may notice an increased need to urinate. This is normal, and will subside quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids. If your digestion is weak, don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes before or 1 hour after meals. Avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours.
- You may experience some flatulence and bowel sounds - this is due to the bowel bacteria multiplying back up to strength for up to 48 hours after treatment. Probiotic supplements/foods may be useful, and the fruit and vegetables will help.
- If griping occurs, drink hot Peppermint, Fennel or Chamomile infusions, and avoid cold drinks, carbonated drinks and gassy foods.
- Don't expect a bowel movement the next day: depending upon your condition, it may take several days before normal bowel movements resume.
- Avoid rigorous exercise and weight lifting for 24 hours after treatment.
- If you experience any continued discomfort, telephone your therapist.