Colonic Irrigation description
24th May 2019
Colonic Irrigation is an extended and more complete form of colon cleansing. It involves the process of infusing warm filtered water into the rectum. Colonic Irrigation improves muscle tone, reduces stagnation and bacterial build-up in the colon and generally promotes colon health. Today with modern technological improvements and trained therapists, Colonic Irrigation is an effective way to treat disease and promote wellness. Colonic Irrigation not only corrects the ravages of toxicity, reduces stagnation while exercising and strengthening the muscles of the colon. As months and years of this toxic glue-like material is removed, the colon beings to restore its natural peristalsis. The removal of impactions, parasites and cellular debris cleanses and rejuvenates the portion of the immune system that resides in the intestinal tract.
Aftercare advice for colonic patients
You should feel fine after colonic hydrotherapy treatment, and not experience any unwanted side-effects; there are a few simple measures to follow:
- Follow any specific advice on diet, supplements, exercise, etc. given to you by your practitioner.
- Don’t overeat. Eat simply cooked or raw food, and chew well. A diet rich in fruit and vegetables (especially leafy) will add to the cleansing effect and help to regulate bowels.
- Don’t eat red meat (beef, lamb, pork and game) every day; white meat and fish and vegetarian meals are much easier to digest.
- Eat only whole grains, e.g. brown rice, wholemeal flour, NOT refined e.g. white flour products, pasta.
- Avoid lots of mucus-forming foods like refined grains, dairy products and eggs.
- A small amount of water is absorbed during the colonic treatment, and you may notice an increased need to urinate. This is normal, and will subside quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids. If your digestion is weak, don’t drink with meals or for 30 minutes before or 1 hour after meals. Avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours.
- You may experience some flatulence and bowel sounds – this is due to the bowel bacteria multiplying back up to strength for up to 48 hours after treatment. Probiotic supplements/foods may be useful, and the fruit and vegetables will help.
- If griping occurs, drink hot Peppermint, Fennel or Chamomile infusions, and avoid cold drinks, carbonated drinks and gassy foods.
- Don’t expect a bowel movement the next day: depending upon your condition, it may take several days before normal bowel movements resume.
- Avoid rigorous exercise and weight lifting for 24 hours after treatment.
- If you experience any continued discomfort, telephone your therapist.